Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I need all the anti-aging news I can get, because my birthday is coming soon (Part 1)

I wish to stay young forever, maybe I should join an antiaging medicine programs, a new specialty area called anti-aging medicine – managing the aging process with hormonal and metabolic therapies to keep our bodies healthy.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I found a program run by Dr. Smith. He promotes himself as a physician offering a complete antiaging program based on the Cenegenics Institute Age Management Medicine philosophy.

That sounds good, so I visited Cenegenics Institute web page. Their physicians are certified in Age Management Medicine and they claim to be experienced in hormone modulation therapies, nutritional strategies and exercise science.

What do they mean by certified in Age Management Medicine?

First thing I found out about Dr. Smith is that he retired his Psychiatric practice in 1998 and pursued a second career in the nutraceutical industry. He's certified by The Cenegenics Institute, The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, American Society of Addiction Medicine and The Forensic Board of Medical Examiners.

As far as I can figure out: The Cenegenics Institute have their own certificates and they aren't available for public. The clue was blind, I couldn't get any further without paying (the only reason for asking for my annual income everywhere on that web page). It is possible to be certificated here, but (I dont get it), what has psychiatry and neurology to do with Age Management Medicine? I found that Dr. Schmidt is certified in addiction medicine (1988). I must mention that the list of ASAM member names is provided as a public service and does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by ASAM.

I must realise it is difficult to do any kind of scientific research on anti-aging medicine.

Anti-aging medicine are obviously not supported by scientific evidence, some of the claims might intentionally be false, misleading or exaggerated for commercial reasons.

Since I found no evidence, I tried searching PubMed and this came up:

Position statement on human aging by Olshansky SJ, Hayflick L, Carnes BA.
(School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA. sjayo@uic.edu)

A large number of products are currently being sold by antiaging entrepreneurs who claim that it is now possible to slow, stop, or reverse human aging. The business of what has become known as antiaging medicine has grown in recent years in the United States and abroad into a multimillion-dollar industry. Read more.
And more.

My conclusion so far is that Age Management Medicine are big business, nothing else.

I guess claims of this kind have been made for thousands of years, and they are still false today as they were in the past.

Some few links:
Quackwatch about anti-aging
The Truth about Human Aging

See who links to your web site.