Autism Treatment may have caused the death of a 5-year-old boy
Really awful news about the death of a 5 year old boy:
A five-year-old boy with autism has died in America after flying from Britain for a controversial medical treatment for the neurological and developmental disorder.Chelation therapy is an intravenous treatment designed to remove heavy metals from the body.
Stephen Barrett, a retired psychiatrist and founder of the Quackwatch website, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Many doctors who treat children for autism claim they are suffering from mercury or lead toxicity. There is not sufficient evidence that autism is caused by mercury or lead toxicity." (Source: Autism boy dies after alternative therapy
Orac comments on chelation death and there's a great article here and here too. Over at ABC news you can watch this video.