Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I have been hit by the Fahrenheit 451 Book Meme

This meme has been floating around the blogosphere, and I was invited by Orac from Respectful Insolence to participate this amusing thing.

It looks like it will be a kind of challenge, but I think a worthwhile one. We should be playing more and this internet thing really is like a big playground isn't it? Well, I am tickled to do my Book Meme and I will do my best.

I have always been reading a lot in my entire life both special, trade and scientific litterature, but also fictional. Some might call me a bookworm.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Since I started working in my new job and it's been for quite a while, I haven't purchased any books at all. I used to be a member of several book clubs. I took advantage of their special offer, three books for free, at least two books at regular price to complete my membership within a year and then I cancelled the membership. That's how I made my collection of books.

Here is what it's all about:

You are stuck inside Fahrenheit 451.
(about a place where they burn books because trivial information like television is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad)


Which book would you be?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, definitely.

For those not familiar with this book, the main characters are Ron, Hermione, and Harry Potter.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban takes place when Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts. A prisoner has just escaped and he is heading for Hogwarts, also. One night, Sirius Black managed to get into the boy's room and Ron saw him. Then the next day everybody went on a field trip, but Harry was unable to go because his uncle Vernon wouldn't sign his permission slip. Harry found a magic map that told were every body was and all of the secret passages. But Harry thought the map might be broken because it said that a wizard, Pettigrew, was alive but he got killed by Sirius Black.

When I started this book I couldn't put it down. The book had action when they played Quidditch, and interesting when the prisoner escaped. I am entirely addicted as though a junkie on the worst of drugs available. What can I say?

Several numbers of people have bashed these novels as Satanic, I am absolutely dumbfounded. I have never once met a child that doesn't fully comprehend these stories are fiction. Honestly, anyone who believes Harry Potter is bad for children really needs to have a check-up from the neck-up. Harry Potter is infinitely better than Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

As a parent, it has given me some really special time talking to my children in depth about these novels and the attraction it has for those of us who read them. Nobody is more surprised that I have read these books than my 12 year old son. Well it has really been a plus to me and my children that I picked up Harry Potter.

This book has probably been taken by someone else, but I think it is cool, and I saw the movie too.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

I am thrilled with the Harry Potter characters like Harry Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Professor Dumbledore, that's for sure.

If I should recall some characters at the moment - that is not a Harry Potter character-, I did like Annika from The Snake in Sydney written by Michael Larsen (Danish author). The Snake in Sydney is a thriller which is hard to put down, I read it in two days. Through Annika we learn about snakes, and how to deal with them. The book embraces us with many different kinds of knowledge, scientific, medical and philosophical.

I don't know if this counts, because it's a true story about a Kansas family destroyed by jealousy and revenge. I speak of Bitter Harvest written by Ann Rule. I was fascinated by the characters of Dr. Deborah Green. Behind the facade she was revealed to be a strange and desperate mother obsessed with revenge that forever changed dozens of lives. Dr. Deborah Green was a monster, and would stop at nothing to get what she wanted; even murder.

I am sure there are more fictional book characters that I've crushed on. I remember none of them right now, so I will not be closer to answering this.

What is the last book you bought?

The last book I bought was The Clan of The Cave Bear (earth children) by Jean M. Auel. The story of Ayla begins when she is adopted by a group of Neanderthals called the Clan. She is finally accepted by the Clan, but she makes an implacable enemy of the group's future leader, Broud. I haven't finished it yet, so I will not make any further comments on this one.

What are you currently reading?

Currently my "bedtime" book is also The Clan of The Cave Bear (earth children) by Jean M. Auel.

Five books for your desert island cruise package.

I imagine myself sitting in a chair on the beach reading these books:

The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King) by J.R.R. TOLKIEN

The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lector) by Thomas Harris "Behavioral Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth..."
(I am not sure I dare read "The Silence of the Lambs", it's scary and since I have figured out, that I am going to be their all by myself...)

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan "As I got off the plane, he was waiting for me, holding up a scrap of cardboard with my name scribbled on it..."

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6) by J. K. Rowling (This title will be released on Saturday, July 16, 2005).
(My cruise will therefore start after Saturday, July 16, 2005)

Who are you going to pass this book meme baton to and why? (only three people)

I am quite eager to see what Paul, the author of "Confession of a Quackbuster" will have to say on this topic. Your experience and knowledge in chiropractic and quackery are huge, now let me know what else you're reading. You are the one, that introduced me to the blogosphere (*smiler*).

I am also curious to know what Skeptico is reading, he is such a wonderful writer and his blog is one of my favourite. I am certain he must read some really great books that I want to read too.

I also want to pass this on to Danny Boy, he runs a great blog called The Heathen Hold. I imagine he reads lots of interesting skeptical books.

I hope you will all take the challenge and do the Book Meme. My apologies to you if you already were hit by the meme or if you by reason don't want to join the game (remember the curse). Then please pass it away to someone else.

There's normally a curse if you break a chain - so - If you break the chain, you'll know.

Somehow it was really hard to come up with the answers, but I didn't break the chain. Someone asking the same question another time might get a totally different answer. I am satisfied, and you my reader - I hope you enjoyed it.

Have you read the "Fahrenheit 451"-book, then another challenge is here:
40-question quiz and Fahrenheit 451 Quiz

See who links to your web site.